My Blog List

My Blog List

Sunday 27 June 2021

Lofts and Gigs

 After gathering crap in the loft for something like 20  years I am at last making headway getting it sorted. With the memsahibs help of course, also the threat of being locked in the loft with a plate of cheese sandwiches and a bucket until its done!

There's a few  items I was hoping  might turn up:

 My old cowboy boots. Check!

My old denim waistcoat. Check!

Rock badges that went on the waistcoat. Check!

and finally various  band programmes and photos I'd bought  and a gig guide I'd written about where I'd been and who I saw. Check!

Particularly pleased about the last two.  The gig guide I'd grandly called 'The Morgan Good Gig Guide' and the first entry was on 4th May 1979. Here's photos of  what I wrote and then a verbatim  account of the first article. 






 So here it is then, what my 17 year old idiot self  thought of his first ever gig:

Gigs that yours truely has witnessed.

Friday 4th May 1979  Brunel University, Uxbridge. Price £1.40

Penetration  supported by Cowboys International.

'Went with Mark, Bob, Tim & Phil. A Punk gig started off  my round of gigs-it was good. The support were acceptable although the others weren't so keen on them. Penetration were  great! The tune I couldn't stop humming  for  days after was 'Danger Signs.' Actually got up on the stage after they'd  just finished! Or what eh!!!'

Not the most  cerebral  account of a gig you'll find  but it was  what I thought. Why I've put 'Bob ' as one of my friends names I'll never know. He was Robert or Rob to us, never Bob!  I  vividly remember climbing up onto the stage along  with everyone else, it was really exciting, I  seem to recall later it was us taking to the stage that finished the gig rather than the band finishing! There were reports of a riot after which were totally untrue, walking back to the station we  saw one policeman who was  taking no notice of us. Some of the group I went with were really into Punk, I remember Tim had tri coloured hair & him, Rob & Mark were festooned with safety pins and zips. Me & Phil  just normal by comparison with jeans and t shirts. I also remember they'd taken bottles of  booze on the train that we  necked enroute.

I hadn't really been 'into' music all that long, I was bit of a late developer in that respect  and I was looking forward to my  first gig. It was a wonderful night and one I'll never forget, it introduced me to live music and I liked it!   

I'll give you another taste  of my literary prose another time and reveal more about the gigs I went to. 




No comments:

Post a Comment