My Blog List

My Blog List

Friday 19 April 2019

First gig of the year.


Always a special night out going to a gig, this one especially for me as I was going with Olly & Gary.
Some time ago I played a CD by Massive Wagons to Olly. He liked it and a while later he asked whether I was free on 13th April & he booked tickets!
So it was we trolled down to Euston on Saturday afternoon. Gary knew of a very quirky little pub made in one of the gate houses for the rather grand entrance to Euston station, now called The Tap House. Seemed to be just beers, lagers and ciders. A few ales and craft beers also on, though I managed to pick a duffer for my first pint!  I just didn't see the 'porter' next to the Railway Line brew I chose. Never mind, after both G & O has a sip there wasn't much left ( joke! they didn't like it either) it did taste a bit better the more you had. Best pub music ever as well, Black Sabbath!
On route from Leighton Buzzard

The Tap Room at Euston.


Second beers
First beers

Interesting war memorial outside the Euston station

Close up of one of the figures on the memorial.




 An interesting war memorial outside the station took my eye. A very grand affair with a figure in each corner resting on 'Reversed Arms.'
Onwards then, we walked towards Camden and went in The Worlds End a brilliant pub next to The Underworld, a gig venue I still haven't been in despite a couple of near misses!
What a fabulous pub The Worlds End is! Full of rock types & a few goths, the place just ooze's atmosphere. I spied Iron Maiden 'Trooper' ale on draft only to be given a bottle! Tasted good though!
Have to say at this point what fun and good company our boys are, I was having just the best day!
Trying to recall some of our conversations I do remember Olly saying 'Its not the first time I've told a trans Sumo wrestler to fuck off!' Just wish I could remember the context in which this sentence was uttered! Gary's rejoinder later was on Ellie's vacuuming stating 'She hoovers at least once a month.'
Later on Gary took a photo of me outside The Hawley Arms but omitted to tell me I was no where near pointing at the pub sign, this was another stop along the way where the footie was on as you see from Olly's attention to the photo below.


Thought I was nearer the pub name!
Pretty sure this was where Tara's Birthday was happening:

 Another beer stop near the Horse Hospital in Camden then dinner beckoned. We found a very nice place called 'Bird.' A glorified KFC if you will, with very good food. As with every gig I go to I always like to see the support bands, you never know what you might be missing, Olly was fine with that though I think Gary would have happily just gone to the main event. Off we walked on the final leg of the journey turning this way and that until Gary announced we'd better get a cab! He got us an Uber and in no time we were at the venue, The Dome in Bounds Green NW5, another new on me. We got in just as the second support was finishing...…..  We'd managed to miss not just one but both support bands! Did I hear a quiet chuckle from Gary!?
Massive Wagons were just the business! Absolutely brilliant from beginning to end., very loud, very energetic, a great rock band. Bellowed out a few  lyrics I knew , both Olly & I seemed to know the words to 'Back to the Stack' their tribute to Rick Parfitt of Status Quo so we merrily belted that one out! The gig finished all too soon......one more beer stop then home, on the last train it appears, out of Euston so we had to stand all the way.
 A brilliant evening made all the better by being with Gary & Olly. Here's to the next time! 'You know, you know, you know!'
Mural on a building in Camden, strangely by Alec!

Mural in Camden








Bed , al la  Laurel and Hardy or Morecombe and Wise! 
For those interested here is the set list:
  1. Play Video
  2. Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. Play Video
  10. Play Video
  11. Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. Play Video
  14. Encore:
  15. Play Video

No comments:

Post a Comment