My Blog List

My Blog List

Friday 2 November 2018

Berlin Wall

We keep our eggs in a ceramic rumtopf thing. We have used it for Rumtopf, basically you get a load of soft fruit, bung in the same amount of sugar & liberally sous with booze ( me on an average Saturday night :) ) leave until Christmas......then find all the fruit tastes like prunes, good if you like prunes which I do! Then, as Gary & I found out, add the liquor to champagne and its bloody marvellous!
I'd used the last two eggs in my egg fried rice I made as part of our dinner. A stir fry that I have to say passed muster. Later I washed up the rumtopf thing  and turning it over to dry out ,noticed that written underneath were the words 'W.Germany.'
This instantly dates it to 1989 or before as that's when the Berlin Wall came down and East & West Germany were reunited. See! There was a reason why I called this blog 'Berlin Wall.'
 I well remember the news being alight with what was happening in Berlin, & not before time. Families were split by this wall & many died trying to get across from the Eastern sector, the East & the then USSR have a lot to answer for, and it appears in many ways little has changed!
It's around that time that the Rumanian president  Nicolae Ceausescu and his tyrant wife were killed by their own people in an uprising. The funny thing is , I recall a few years before myself and a friend (Alan P Smith) went up to London to see the full panoply of the State Visit for the a for said mentioned tyrant &  spouse!  Foot Guards and Household Cavalry abounded for this bloke who was no more than a gangster & who had his own people killed for very little reason. I've got photos , well slides ( dates me doesn't it!) of the procession so nothing I can blog, but it makes me think how could the UK have invited this monster  with all pomp & ceremony and know what he was? Surely the Secret Service would have known. This is all because an old ceramic rumtopf thing sparked a memory, & where exactly is Alan P Smith these days?


No comments:

Post a Comment