My Blog List

My Blog List

Friday 12 October 2018

The joy of .......impromptu gigs

Now's here's a thing. A gig. Generally we'd book up months and months in advance, you know it's coming. No bad thing either, you can look forward to it, expect the great things that may come of it, but then there's the impromptu gig. The one you didn't even know you were going to! How does that work? Strangely I've had two in as many months. Regular readers of the blog ( please identify yourselves as I'm fed up with reading it on my own!) will know I won the tickets to see the Quireboys, this one's  abit different though. Oliver works with a chap of similar age and similar music tastes to me. He'd booked these tickets but unfortunately for him could not get there. No3 son & him had obviously conversed about musical tastes, even if Olly said...…..'Yes my Dad likes that old crap as well!, ' so the tickets were offered to me! Wasn't sure at first as I had no intention of going to a gig on my own, forgetting that The Memsahib had heard a little of Steve Hackett a at Cropredy and found he passed muster, so we very excitedly excepted.
So off we went arriving  parched at the Shakespeare Arms in Carnaby Street at about 6.30pm. Drink, entry to the Palladium, finding T shirt stall that took cards, another drink and seated for 7.10pm we settled. Only to be disturbed by the plaintiff call of 'Where's my bloody glasses.' and of course the ever popular prostate induced problem of 'Where's the karzi?' from gentlemen of a certain age of which there were many.
'Wow' is a much used word , if it is a word, but it is one I'd use to describe this gig. Steve Hackett's playing  was sublime, the orchestral accompaniments added a new dimension  to the music that I had never heard before. Put simply it was a brilliant night. It far exceeded what we thought it might be, to say it was a joy from beginning to end doesn't give the word 'joy' enough wellie to describe what we witnessed. This gig was the end of the line for this tour, how sad, I'd go again it must be said. Genesis fans are a  mixed and varied bunch  ,some total idiots some good sorts, though strangely or not so strangely, mostly males of a certain age ( the smell of aging testosterone is not a pleasant one!)  but we had both had a brilliant evening. Top that Saxon!  













I was there 9

No comments:

Post a Comment