My Blog List

My Blog List

Wednesday 12 September 2018

Camel gig

Never seen this band before, Kevin suggested it to me, a bit of real old prog rock! What's not to like?
A local gig for a change, only had to get to Aylesbury, had a beer or two in the Wetherspoons over the road form the Waterside Theatre and then made our way over.
It's a really nice auditorium, quite new built in 2010 with a capacity of 1200 over three levels. it is of course what Dunstable should have done when the Grove Theatre was built a few years ago, then we'd get the bigger acts and gigs in Dunstable. Typical Beds Council  ballsed up thinking, no change there then! Capacity at the Grove is 750.
No support but with Camel playing for a good two and a quarter hours that was no problem, there was one short break, after all two of the band are getting on a bit! The guitarist Andy Latimer is the only true original member from the bands beginnings in 1971 however bassist Colin Bass joined in 1979. Dennis Clements on drums has been a member since 2000 and keyboard/sax player Pete Jones a new boy only joining in 2016.
The main event of this gig was to play the album 'Moonmadness' in its entirety, first released in 1976 and what a great album it is.
I've seen one other band do a whole album from start to finish (WASP last year) and will see another at the end of this week! (The Quireboys) it's an idea I like. There's inevitably the odd track on an album that you don't like as much as the others but to hear them all played live is something of a revelation. Even the duffest track can be given the kiss of life when played live, it just has a new vibrancy and vigour. I didn't know any music from Camel so I took bit of a chance seeing them live but I have to say I was not disappointed. They seemed a nice bunch of blokes who played some bloody good music, you'll see from the track list below that they played other music as well, I'll definitely pick up a CD of  'Moonmadness' it's a good one for the car I think. What I won't be picking up is a t shirt for £30! Sadly they are never top quality t shirts  and even though I like to get a gig t shirt I must draw the line somewhere! I was always more happy to buy from a bloke who had t's in boxes outside the venue, not quite the same of course, but they were similar quality and about half the price. These blokes have been scared off in more recent times  and you seldom see them outside gigs. I do understand why bands would get the hump with cheap T's outside their venues  but then make your own T's cheaper.  
However  this did not detract from a great night out. Now looking forward to Friday's gig!  Here's the set list:

  1. Set 1 (Moonmadness):
  2. Aristillus
    Play Video
  3. Play Video
  4. Play Video
  5. Play Video
  6. Play Video
  7. Play Video
  8. Play Video
  9. Set 2:
  10. Play Video
  11. Play Video
  12. Play Video
  13. Play Video
  14. Play Video
  15. Ice
    Play Video
  16. Play Video
  17. Play Video
  18. Play Video
  19. Encore:







  20. Play

No comments:

Post a Comment