My Blog List

My Blog List

Friday 2 February 2018

New Saxon album 'Thunderbolt'.

I recently posted my own review of the latest Magnum album that I had pre ordered so I received it on the day of release. It's extra special (not to mention extra dear compared to waiting awhile!) to get a new release hot off the press but it is in my opinion special as well!. Yesterday (31st Jan) I was surprised and delighted to have the latest Saxon album drop through my letter box, not least because it isn't due out until 2nd Feb! This is the second of the 'holy trinity' of pre ordered new releases I've got coming. Next month will be the latest from Judas Priest.
Saxon are a great Heavy Metal band, always been one of my faves and were, if memory serves at the cutting edge of the so called 'New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.' They never hit the heights of Iron Maiden (due to naff management Biff Byford said in a recent interview) or AC/DC and strangely seemed to be doing better in Europe rather than Blighty for a few years. Maybe there has been a renaissance for the band over the last few years, having seen them on their last two tours I know that our 'unreserved seats'  needed to be sat in quite early to ensure we all sat together! Heartening to see also  that in common with alot of bands I've seen age is no barrier. Yes of course there's the old headbangers of my ilk but also lots of youngsters, The Band indeed played on!
To the album then, first up a very short 30 second track  called 'Olympus Rising.' Bit of a cheek calling it the first track I thought as it goes straight into 'Thunderbolt' with no break so is more or less part of 'Thunderbolt' really. Here you have the essence of all that is Saxon in this title track. Powerful, loud, take yer head off if it gets in the way, bloody marvellous!
'Secret of flight' is I thought alittle different. It tells the story of flight to an extent (100th anniversary of the RAF this year? No reference made to this but it made me think)  You get Icarus, Da Vinci, the Wright Brothers, jets and the nasty bombs they dropped, it's a good solid track with an interesting story & two superb solos by Doug Scarratt and Paul Quinn.
'Nosferatu (The Vampire Waltz)' is again a tad different. Dare I say a bit proggy! You get an intro of organ music  worthy of any old horror film ,it tells the story of the undead and don't be caught out late in the streets and musters two fine guitar solos from Paul & Doug. I like!
'They played rock and roll' is a particular track dedicated to Motorhead and of course Lemmy. It's a good one full of references to Motorhead from Hammersmith to the bomber to the Ace and many decibels, with solos from Paul Quinn & Andy Sneap (producer of this album and member of 'Hell') it's a worthy tribute to a great, much missed band.
'Predator.' Mmm, just not sure about this one. Biff played a duet with Johan Hegg who gave it all the very gruff growl and dark 'vocal'. I've never liked this style to be honest & I personally don't think it has any room in  a Saxon track. I admire the boys for trying something abit left field & what band doesn't want to push the boundaries now and again but this one in my humble opinion didn't hit the spot.
'Sons of Odin' however is back to basics, a slower track that has the mark of a good singalong, a good old Viking yarn!
'Sniper' has a great rock riff and rattles along, a real classic Saxon track!
'A wizards tale.' Another one I enjoyed, you begin by wondering which wizard we're talking about here, but the line 'Excalibur plunged into the stone' leaves you in no doubt it is of course Merlin and the Court of Arthur. Another great bold  Saxon track, with a riff to be reckoned with.
'Speed Merchants' starts off like a poor mans 'Motorcycle Man' with the screech of motorbikes, it's a fast and furious track with  great rippling solos from both guitarists.
'Roadies Song' is a tribute to those unsung hero's who make it all happen. Without which there wouldn't be a gig! Motorhead did similar with 'We are the road crew' but I like this more tuneful song better, its a great track.
The final track 'Nosferatu (raw version)' is bit of a swizz really, it's track 4 all over again! Frankly I can hear little difference between the two & billing it as a separate track is abit much. I see CD filler written all over this, Saxon has ben guilty of this before, who can forget the truly awful 'Standing in a queue' off the 'Sacrifice' album!?
Saxon dedicate this whole album to the memory of Lemmy & a very worthy memory it is but they make the irritating mistake of attributing it to -Lemmy Kilminster when in fact he was Ian Kilminster known as Lemmy. Pedantic I may be but its an error to a great Rock n Roll hero that should be corrected.
Andy Sneap has produced the last three albums,  this one, Battering Ram & Sacrifice, he has his own style ( listen to the band Hell & you'll see what I mean)he's changed the sound of Saxon to a degree, I like it , not everyone does but you can't deny they do a good job!
So that's it, in many respects an unremarkable album, there's no'747' or 'Motorcycle Man' to bellow out at gigs but its a very good solid Saxon album and for me hits the spot. They are a brilliant band and I look forward to seeing them again alter in the year.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment