My Blog List

My Blog List

Tuesday 20 June 2017

Detectorists.

Ever watched Detectorists? Treat yourself if you haven't,it's great. You have to understand where I'm coming from I suppose for me to say that it's great. There's little between the amateur archaeology that I enjoy and detecting, in my humble opinion that is.
The characters that Mackenzie Crook has created are brilliant, he really has caught the quite daft and the quite serious types that do this sort of thing, as well as the out and out looney.
It's one of those quiet programmes, a suppose a sit-com, that creeps up on you, you don't realise how accurate and how funny he is until after the show, for me of course after a dig. Toby Jones is first class in whatever he is in ( did you see his portrayal of Alfred Hitchcock  in 'The Girl' and he was also the voice of Dobby in Harry Potter that surprised me), he plays Lance, bit of a know-all still mooning after his ex-wife who left him for some waste of space & opened a mystic shop. Crooks character is Andy ( definitely has commitment issues Tara said) in a series of gentle misunderstandings his long term girlfriend Becky (Rachel Stirling) thinks he's having an affair with a young student Sophie (Aimee-Ffion Edwards), he isn't & is too dumb to see what's happening. High spot of series one? The mad farmer Larry Bishop (David Sterne) on who's land they have been digging where there may be a Saxon burial,spends most of the series calling his imaginary dogs, in almost the last scene he calls them to see off some rogue ('You're the bad chaps') detectorists only to have two real and very loud dogs come hurtling round the corner. Made me smile.
Series two see's Lance eventually find gold but it doesn't turn out as well as he thought it would. His find is caged in a museum & he has to ask permission to see it. The laugh out loud bit for me ( and you'll instantly see why) is when Lance digs up a find & begins to get excited- 'it's a brooch, think it's silver oh there's something written in Latin, S-ST, Sta....Status...............Quo!') Marvellous stuff. Pleased to say I've just seen that series three is being recorded, can't wait!
I can only say the Mackenzie Crook must have spent some time with either a detectorists club or an archaeology society, just love the way he has found the loons, the misfits, the utterly absorbed, the frustrated professionals, the gifted amateurs and the generally daft buggers that get involved in this kind of hobby. And I'm proud to say I'm one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment