My Blog List

My Blog List

Friday 3 March 2017

Shropshire again.

Two nights away this time instead of my usual one. I got more appointments booked so really needed another day in that neck of the woods. Stopover on the first night was the Lion Hotel in central Shrewsbury. It's very nice, the food is usually good and so is the beer. It's also quite near a pub I've found that has rock bands on a Tuesday night, I fully intended to look in but to be honest after driving 320 miles and after eating I was too knackered to be bothered!
The bar at the hotel serves the excellent Butty Bach by the Wye Valley Brewery, its 4.2% in strength so not exactly a quaffing beer, it's a mid coloured brew and has a sweetness I like. For starters I had garlic prawns. They were nice, if abit boring, it should have been served with bread I think to mop up the garlic liquor but it wasn't. Couldn't decide on a main. I regularly go for a steak but wanted something different tonight so I went for the 6oz burger with bacon. This was very good, served with chips and salad A good tasty burger in a proper bread roll, not an airy white thing. That consumed with another pint of Butty Bach I retired to my room & was in bed and asleep by 10.30!
I've had the continental breakfast here which is fine. Thought I'd treat myself to the Full English which was bit of a disappointment. I generally have a poached egg (its healthier you see, never mind the heart attack on a plate that the rest of a Full English is!!) and it was abit watery & their sausage was obviously a cheapo make so I rather wish I hadn't bothered, I won't in future.
Welsh hills with snow atop on my drive through to Shropshire.




A pint of Butty Bach in there somewhere!

Burger for dinner.

 




To the next day then which was all in Shropshire. It's a lovely county very hilly and picturesque with some interesting towns and villages though working there I never get a proper chance to look round. It's all going from one place to another for the next appointment, really need to go back when I'm not working to explore places like Ludlow and Oswestry and Bridgenorth when I have the time. Anyway, having said that & having called on all my appointments for that day my stopover was The Fox at Much Wenlock. We have been here before & looked around the ruined priory dating back to 680 when King Merewalh of Mercia built an Anglo-Saxon monastery. The Fox is a 16th century building and to say the floors in the bedroom were uneven is an understatement! You walked more or less uphill to get to the far side of the bathroom & the bed needed propping up by two quite thick books under the legs one side to make it horizontal! It was great!
They had two real ales on today, Wychwood  Hobgoblin Gold was one. A very light coloured beer, 4.2% in strength and quite nice, their other offering I preferred which was Wainwrights Golden Beer.4.1% in strength and beautifully refreshing, a really good beer though quite light in colour to my usual preference for a mid coloured brew. 
Dinner! Jack Sprats was my starter. Small fillets of sprats fried in a light batter and served with home made tartar sauce & salad. Tasted very much like Whitebait  which was fine by me! My main was pork belly served with black pudding, mash and veg. Again really good and very filling, interested to find out that they have gluten free bread available and will adapt recipes where possible to accommodate wheat intolerance. Not only is this very good to hear but it also means  they have a proper cook who doesn't just get things out of packets. Dinner was excellent! I will bring the Memsahib here at some stage.
Retired replete, had a nose on FaceBook & emails etc and called it a day. A proper Full English was served next morning that stood me well for the day. All very well cooked and delicious.  If I have the 'works' for brekky I tend not to have lunch, I don't really need it! Anyway that's it, a couple of places I will stay at again. 
   
Jack Sprats for starters.

Mmm. Looks good doesn't it. A pint of Wainwrights.

Pork Belly, black pud, creamy mash and veg. Fit for a king!

No comments:

Post a Comment