My Blog List

My Blog List

Sunday 11 September 2016

New Model Army

Not Oliver Cromwell's New Model Army but mine.......You probably know that amongst the many things I collect are model soldiers, yes I know I'm 54 but what the hell! I also make them. I work in many scales from 15mm,20mm, 30mm,54mm through to 75mm. One on going project is of mine is the dismounted bands of the British cavalry circa 1980/90's, I thought it may be of passing interest to upload a sort of tutorial of what I do, so here goes.
These figures are cast at home, it's a commercially available mould (though I have made my own too) with conversions by me (fig 1). The figures are 54mm  (also known as 1/32nd scale), the scales can be a bit misleading from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some work it as 54mm from head to toe, others use a scale taking in any headdress worn so the overall figure then appears abit shorter. The second photo shows the tools and odds & sods I use (Fig 2), the next is the metal pan on our cooker melting the metal. It's a low melt tin alloy that works well at the low temperatures a cooker can give (fig 3). Once melted , as quick as poss,  pour the liquid metal into the mould that has been clamped together. I have had some disasters at this stage with the clamps slipping off and sending molten metal over the work surface. Not quite as bad as it sounds as it solidifies quickly & it's not exactly like working in a foundry!
Give the metal a couple of minutes to solidify then open the two halves of the mould to reveal the figure, cut off the sprue from the funnel end into the mould and you're ready to go (fig 4).
 I use sand paper and sharp modelling knives to carve down the figure to take arms etc and usually use the foil off wine bottles for belts etc & two types of modelling putty, the green for filling holes and imperfections & a two part putty that can be used for finer work. Whilst I cast the figures, generally I buy the instruments already cast from  a company called Dorset Soldiers.
 The figures here will be a side drummer & bass drummer from the 16th/5th The Queens Royal Lancers, you'll see the side drummer taking shape with head on, lancer drooping plume attached, arms and the lancer plastron attached to his tunic. Just the cap lines, drum belt and hands holding the drum sticks to go (fig 5 & 6).
 Known as the 'Scarlet Lancers' as they wore red tunics where other lancer regiments wore blue, they were one of the post world war one cavalry amalgamations when in 1922 the 16th The Queens Lancers joined the 5th Royal Irish Lancers. To be honest the research into the uniform or battle I am depicting is just as interesting to do. I go to great pains to make sure that particular uniform was worn in the era I have represented or the battle is as close as I can get it.
Now both figures and complete  & primed (fig 7), I generally use a quick coat of matt white for this. You may be able to see the bass drummer wears a leopard skin apron, this harks back to when regimental bands used African drummers brought back from their tours of duty abroad in the 18th & 19th centuries.
 The next thing is to start painting, I do the 'big' colours first so in this case its the red tunic and dark blue trousers, plastron, cuffs and collars. I use enamels, though many use acrylics & oils. (fig 8), then its just a case of building up the colours and putting on the detail, so there you have it.(fig 9).
Commissions taken!
Fig 1.Moulds ready. 

Fig 2. Clamps and odds and sods used. 

Fig 3.Metal melting on stove.

Fig 4. Cast pieces cooling down in moulds.

Fig 5. Finished parts of both drummers.

Fig 6. Main parts of side drummer assembled.

Fig 7. All parts of both figures glued together and primed.

Fig 8. 'Big' colours added first.

Fig 9. The finished figures.

Some I prepared earlier. World War One British cavalry. 28mm figures.

Some I prepared earlier. French Crimean War infantry. 28mm figures.

Some I prepared earlier. Medieval men at Arms. 28mm figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment