My Blog List

My Blog List

Friday 3 June 2016

Saxon

Just brought our tickets for the mighty Saxon playing at the Shepherds Bush Empire on 5th November. I think this will be the fourth time I've seen them and they are always good value, one of the first NWOBHM Bands (New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) they are still going strong. Support acts should be good as well. Firstly 'Fastway' featuring former Motorhead guitarist Fast Eddie Clarke. Haven't see them before but expect they'll be good and then Girlschool who I last saw about 35 years ago! Should have seen them last year supporting Motorhead but with Lemmy's demise the gig was cancelled so am really looking forward to seeing them this time round.
The Shepherds Bush Empire is a delightful venue. It's a grade II listed building built in 1903. Such luminaries as Fred Karnos Comic Troupe featuring Charlie Chaplin played here in 1906, with a capacity of 2000 its one of the smaller venues and all the better for that. You can actually see who's  on stage without needed a giant screen!
Our tickets cost £31 each, the first time I saw Saxon at the Lyceum Ballroom off the Strand in London,I believe in February 1980 the ticket cost £4! Bizarrely we actually met Lemmy, Fast Eddie  and Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor of Motorhead at the bar! We saw and spoke to them just before everyone else realised who they were, to this day I still don't know what Lemmy said to me but he clasped the back of my neck in a friendly gesture & it made my evening!
Last time we saw a gig here ( also Saxon Feb 2015) we had dinner at the 'Defectors Weld' a gastro pub on the corner of Wood Lane and Uxbridge Road right on the green so very near the Empire. Good food as I recall so I reckon we may do the same again, we've got a while to decide mind you.
Saxon at the Shepherds Bush Empire, Feb 2015.

Mark, Tara, Kevin & Paul at the Saxon gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment