My Blog List

My Blog List

Sunday 12 June 2016

12th June 1916

Still continuing my search into our ancestors involvement in World War One. I've downloaded (at a cost!) the regimental diaries of both of the regiments my Grandfathers served in to see what they might have been doing 100 years ago today.
G2104 Private Alfred Gowers 2nd Bn The Middlesex Regiment.
'In Trenches.Battalion relived by  2/Royal Berkshire Regiment at 4pm withdrew to Henencourt Wood camp in Divisional Reserve.'
The 2/Middlesex had been in the trenches around Ribert since 8th June.Henencourt was a rest area for troops behind the lines around the Somme area.
D1901 Private William Morgan 1st (Kings) Dragoon Guards.
The Regiment had been at Sericourt ( Pas de Calais area) since 11th May and nothing is noted in the diary for 12th June. They would remain here until the end of the month when they moved for the great offensive on the Somme.

No comments:

Post a Comment